Shropshire Constabulary, 1859

Shropshire Constabulary, 1859

Shropshire Constabulary, 1859

Shropshire’s first county police constabulary was established in 1840. They soon earned the nickname of ‘Paddy Mayne’s grasshoppers’ because the first Chief Constable was Irish and the constables wore green uniforms.

This photograph was taken in 1859, when Capt. Philip H Crampton was appointed as the new Chief Constable; he can be seen in the centre foreground.

Comments are closed.