Map of part of the Wildmoors (Cherrington), c.1576

Map of part of the Wildmoors (Cherrington) c1576

Map of part of the Wildmoors (Cherrington) c1576

This beautiful map is hand drawn and painted onto parchment. It shows land near Cherrington, in the parish of Edgmond, and includes details of houses, fields, plots of land, and open fields.

The map was probably produced because there were changes in ownership and use of the land. During the Tudor period, there was an increase in private ownership of land following the dissolution of the monasteries. In addition, there were changes in farming practices; open fields were gradually being inclosed, there was an increase in the keeping of livestock, improvements were being made to waste land, scrub and woodland were being cleared and land was being drained.

Comments are closed.