Watling Street

Watling Street Demesne in the Parish of Wellington, 1841.

Watling Street Demesne in the Parish of Wellington, 1841.

Roman engineering was far in advance of local technology. As well as innovations such as central heating and aqueducts, one of the most lasting introductions made by the Romans was the network of roads. These paved routes connected principal towns and forts, and made the movement of troops and supplies easier and quicker.

This map shows an area near Wellington which takes its name from the Roman road which runs through it. The long straight road which cuts across the top of the fields is Watling Street, a road which stretched from London to Wroxeter. The route forms much of the modern A5. Place names including “Stretton” indicate settlements on a Roman road as it comes from the old English “straet-ton” which means street village.

Comments are closed.