Barrows and burial mounds
Bronze Age Round Barrow on Ludlow Golf Course.
This large Round Barrow is situated within the grounds of Ludlow Golf Course on flat ground between the River Teme and Corve. It was built as a funerary monument to contain one or more burials and it measures some 35 metres in diameter standing to a height of over 3 metres. On the north side of the mound it is possible to see that an excavation trench has been dug from the outside of the mound into the centre. This probably represents the sight of an old excavation carried out by a Mr. C. Fortey back in 1884. Finds from this excavation included a cinerary urn that was shattered during the digging and a cremated burial. The barrow probably dates to the Bronze Age, roughly between 2300 B.C. – 700 B.C. (Image kindly supplied by Shropshire Sites and Monuments Record).